GATEWAY TO THE WORLD
With its transport and infrastructure, Slovenia has all the attributes of one of the best logistic and distribution locations in the northern Adriatic region. Slovenia’s strategic geopolitical position and decades of trading with the countries of central, east and south-eastern Europe make it a location of choice for the distribution of goods to the EU’s 500 million consumer market and to the emerging markets of East and South-eastern Europe.
Two pan-European Transport Corridors that link west and east (V) and north and south (X) intersect on the Slovenian territory. The motorway density in Slovenia is above EU-27 average and Slovenia is easily reached from anywhere in Europe by car or lorry within a day or two. Currently, there are over 700 km of well-maintained motorways and over 1,000 km of trunk roads.
Slovenia’s coastline of the northern Adriatic Sea links it to the Mediterranean for goods which transit via Suez and Gibraltar. The Port of Koper provides an unrivalled access to mainland Europe and particularly to the land-locked Central European countries to send and receive goods by sea. Shipping to the Port of Koper from Asia means gaining up to ten days on cargo ships bound for Europe’s northern ports. The port facilities comprise 11 modern and fully equipped specialised terminals, indoor and outdoor warehouses for general cargo and custom-built warehouses.
Freight traffic is well developed, and the rail links between the Adriatic Sea and the landlocked CEE countries offer plenty of opportunities. The national rail operator Slovenian Railways (SŽ) runs both passenger and freight service and operates railway infrastructure including 60,000 m2 of warehouses.
Ljubljana International Airport, 25 km from Slovenia’s capital city handles passengers and cargo. Several airlines operate scheduled flights to all important European destinations. The airport has been recently renovated, its infrastructure extended and the cargo terminal modernised.
Slovenia offers unparallel expertise and knowledge of transportation, distribution, warehousing, retailing and IT services at reasonable cost. Industrial space for-lease or build-to-suit sites for distribution, warehouses, manufacture, office and retail needs are available for setting up a successful business. Running the process of planning, storing, and controlling the flow of goods, services, and related information calls for well educated and highly skilled workforce and Slovenia has it all. In the sector, there are over 23,000 employees in about 2,700 companies.
Key figures 2017
Number of companies: 3,223
Number of employees: 27,124
Revenues (in €): 4.5 billion
Source: AJPES, 2019
- freight forwarding and freight shipping,
- handling of goods,
- goods warehousing and storage,
- maritime and inland logistics terminal operations
- additional services
Leading domestic and foreign-owned companies
- Adria Airways (Passenger & cargo air transport)
- Adria Terminali (Warehousing & storage)
- Aerodrom Ljubljana (Airport and air transport services)
- BTC (Storage & reloading)
- Cargo-partner / Multi transport and logistics holding (Transportation logistics provider)
- CAT logistic / Cat Compagnie D’Affretement et de Trans (Freight transport by road)
- DHL Ekspres Slovenija / Deutsche Post (Postal & courier activities)
- DSV Transport /DSV Road Holding (Transport support services)
- Eurocity / MM Logitrend (Freight transport by road)
- Fersped (Forwarding & transport)
- Frikus spedicija / Frikus Friedrich Kraftwagentransport und Speditions (Warehouse logistics)
- Grieshaber logistika / Grieshaber Logistik (Warehouse logistics)
- Gebrüder Weiss / Gebrüder Weiss International (Transport & logistics)
- Hoedlmayr logistika / Hödlmayr International (Forwarding & transport)
- Jurcic & Co. (Road haulage)
- Kuehne + Nagel / Kühne + Nagel Eastern Europe (Global logistics services)
- Luka Koper (Port of Koper) (Port, storage & reloading)
- Pacorini (Forwarding, warehousing & transportation)
- Schenker / DB Mobility Logistics (Forwarding & transport)
- Slovenske železnice (Slovenian Railways) (Rail transport, reloading & storage)
- Spedicija Goja (Forwarding & transport)
- Splosna plovba / Dohle ICL (Sea & coastal freight water transport)
- TIB Transport (Complete transport services for dangerous goods)
- TNT Express Worldwide / TNT Express Worldwide (Freight transport)
- Transglob / Transadria (Cargo handling)
Faculties, research institutions, associations and clusters
- University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport
- University of Maribor, Faculty of Logistics
- Institute of traffic and transport Ljubljana
- Slovenia Partner, Development Group for Vehicles, Transport & Logistics
- Ministry of Transport